Broad Spectrum Geekery

Broad Spectrum Geek

Sunday 31 August 2014

Putting my money where my mouth is...

Wow, last post in May, 2 days after starting the blog...

Summer escalated quickly, but no excuse. Well, now that Autumn is peering round the corner (although it is a beautiful summer evening outside, with no prospect of falling leaves in sight!), I thought I'd get back into it.

Happily, my wargame / hobby activity hasn't been as  limited as my work on the blog, and I've achieved a fair bit, a 40k doubles tournament with Yoda being the highlight, with a fair bit of work required to get the army finished (we used my daemons), that took up a good month and a half of hobby time - I'll post my thoughts on that particular tournament sometime soon.

I also started a new project, 40k Sons of Medusa - again, I'll talk through my rationale for that in a future post, and what I hope to get out of the project.

Whilst I was on the Independent Characters forums, I got involved in a discussion about competitiveness in 40k. I'd had a couple of beers, and seemingly from nowhere, the following soundbite popped into my head - "40k is a toolset, not a ruleset".

This seemed to sum up neatly how I feel about the hobby, but also threw something else into pretty sharp relief - I haven't done anything with that toolset other than follow the most basic instructions.

What I mean by that is that despite all the games I've played, and the narrative events I've been to, I have never taken those tools and created something unique and cool, which represents the game as I want to play it.

I've been a pretty passive participant really, and I've still jawed a little about how I'd like things to be. So here goes - I'm going to create and run my own little narrative campaign.

It will be designed to get Yoda, Loki and I together for a weekend, and act as a catalyst for Loki to get his models finished - he has a very busy job which requires a lot of travel, and doesn't have much hobby time.

I'll share as much of the creative process with you on here, and will make all the campaign materials available for download too, so you can see if its any good!

So here is to a busy Autumn of blogging, hobby and wargaming - I hope you'll join me.

I, Wargamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment